Thursday 3 December 2015

No Longer the Newbie!

Greetings,



My name is William R. Tolbert IV. My close friends and family call me J.T. It stands for Junior Tolbert. The nickname I inherited from my father. I moved home to Liberia four years as a New York native, after a stint in the military and I haven’t been back since.

Before I go any further I’m just going to go ahead and address the elephant in the room…YES. The late President Tolbert was my grandfather. I bear my father’s name, just as my father bore his. Now that that is out of the way, shall we continue?

I’ve been involved in marketing, sales, promotions, and brand development for over ten years. My heart has always rested in the arts, while my mind has been entrenched in the business world; everything from music, to dance, to poetry. I’ve even tried my hand at painting (Mind you, I can’t even draw a straight line).

I have found marketing to be a comfortable middle ground for my gifts and abilities to shine, especially in a city like Monrovia where there are so many ventures, initiatives and projects taking place with so much diversity, yet a simplistic synergy. This city seems to attract artsy nomads with bleeding hearts, very much like myself. I fit in perfectly!

So, I recently stumbled upon a posting on the infamous “Expat-list,” and decided that this might be a good opportunity to try my hand at new industry and skill set altogether. I have been taking courses and certification exams for an ECOWAS backed CPA program. I know I know…this has nothing what so ever to do with arts, technology, or marketing but just try to follow. I’m about to land.

So I applied and interviewed for a Part-Time book keeping position and as luck would have it. There was a need within the NATC organization for a marketing/Client liaison expert. Eventually, I ended up precisely where I was meant to be, right back in my comfort zone. This all took place in September, fast forward to November.

So November was a very interesting month here at NATC. I had an amazing time with the LivArts Contest; met so many talented artists based right here in Monrovia. I think November was a great month for me work wise as well, because I had an opportunity to really settle in to my position here and get a firm grasp on not only what is required of me, but all so, a routine which works for me in order to effectively accomplish my daily activities without falling behind or feeling overwhelmed.

I’ve begun engaging various clients and I feel a higher level of comfort and commitment in doing so. I know my performance has definitely improved and my day to day efficiency as well. I enjoy working with my colleagues and the work environment keeps me stimulated. There is always something to do, somewhere to go, and I am constantly being asked to channel my strengths, this allows me to grow every day. I definitely don’t mind a challenge. I’m very excited that the holiday season is here and the New Year is right around the corner. Who knows what surprises it will have for the NATC family? I can’t wait to find out!

by William Tolbert

No comments:

Post a Comment