Monday 28 March 2016

How to fix a corrupted BIOS in HP Pavilion Laptops

By Haresh Karamchandani

I received a Whatsapp message from an unknown number, saying

“Hi NATC!”

I had the mind to mark it as spam and delete, but my gut feeling told me that I should not ignore this greeting and I replied likewise, asking who this was and how could we help?

Back came the response that the fellows name was Hamza Choudary and he was sending the message from Rabat, Morocco.  Honestly, I felt a bit worried and scared of this stranger.

I, nevertheless, continued to chat. I asked him why he has contacted NATC and how could we help?
He responded that he would like to explain over a telephone conversation as it would be difficult to explain his problem by chatting. I tried to call him, but could not connect to this Moroccan number.
A few moments later he called me on WhatsApp and we began talking.

He said he found our website after extensively searching for an IT services company in West Africa. Apparently, our website was impressive enough and according to him the best in West Africa for an IT company! I thanked Hamza for the appreciation and wondered how we could help.

He went on to explain that he had a client in Lomè, Togo who purchased 16 HP Pavilion laptops from him some time ago. Now for some strange reason the laptops are unable to boot in Windows. Unable to even start in safe mode, unable to access the BIOS. All one can see is the HP Logo when powered on.

He further went on to explain that this problem may have been caused when someone who was maintaining the laptops removed the internal battery thereby corrupting the BIOS. This did not make sense to me as I know that the system battery has nothing to do with the BIOS. The system battery removal merely would reset the date and time on the machine.

My friend, Hamza insisted that this was indeed the problem and he wanted us to help resolve with a solution that he would provide. All we needed to do was send a technician to Togo and follow and implement his solution step by step.

Below was his solution:





We did not accept this work offer to travel to Togo, all expenses paid. Instead we suggested to Hamza that he saves the software on a USB and somehow manages to send it to his client in Togo for implementation.

Hamza accepted our advice and sent the USB flash drive to Togo and apparently the problem has been resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment