Thursday 9 December 2010

My name is Onesimus Borkuah and I work at NATC

Contributed by Onesimus Borkuah

Warmest greetings to all!



My name is G-Onesimus K. Borkuah, a young gentleman (18yrs., 6”2') in pursuit of the highest certificate or degree in networking/communications. After my graduation from high school (October 4, 2009), I planned on studying to become a pilot but due to the poor infrastructural development in my country so I had a quick plan with the help of my parents. Since I was home tutored in the basics of computer science and had the passion of exploring new features of technology, I decided to perfect that passion by getting more practical trainings in networking.

While I was in search of suitable and convenient college, work or training center, I was told about the New Liberia Technology Company (NLTC) currently New Africa Technology Company (NATC).

I started up as a trainee at this company and have made a year and two months here now. Wit h my little/no skill in IT at the time, I first started my training on the basic hardware components of a computer (the Hard Drive, RAM, Processor, Power Supply, etc...), knowing their functions and how they work together to the use of the end users. 



One of the most fascinating things I like about this company is their interest, use and promotion of Open Source (Linux); thus far, I have learned how to operate and maintain the Linux systems: File Sharing Server, Firewall (Smooth Wall Express). The way networking jobs are carried out in this company is one of a kind I have ever seen- channels/conduits layout, data cabling and termination, configuration of switches and routers (Cisco Systems) and the design/setup of equipment racks.

Lately, I have been involved with local and wide area networking (which I enjoy being on because they carry a different trend every time there is a new project and they help broaden your mind to more designing strategies).

Talking about clients? The most clients I have enjoyed interacting with are the mining companies and international organisations. The mining companies we deal with provide all the necessary safety equipments just to make sure you are 100%+ safe on the job. As for finance, just make them happy with what we do or satisfy their networking needs; you'll get paid without delay! With the interntional organisations, the always encourage our new ideas that we bring up to help with scrutinize their network infrastructure.

I feel that I have been trained here indirectly because I always get to learn and explore new problems on site and resolve them; and I prefer learning both directly and indirectly. I have learned good team work which requires a lot of time and efforts to speed up and meet the scope of a particular project.

Professionalism is one of the key values one should possess when working in an office; that is, one should be punctual, always abiding by the rules/dos and don't s of the company, well attired, etc... I have always worked my best out to be professional and now I can boast of this character (that I am professional)!

I hope for more years with this company in the areas of like Wide Area Networking (WAN) and the building of more Linux Servers and Firewalls. And also for more responsibilities in these areas.

* Life is sacred, that is to say, it is the supreme value to which all other values are subordinate* -The Wisdom of Einstein-

No comments:

Post a Comment