Sunday 20 January 2013

Starting out at NATC: My introduction to Liberia’s business sector



Hello, I’m Corinna Bordewieck, NATC’s new marketing consultant, and filler-of-big-shoes of the inimitable Guillaume Foutry. 

I was pleased to begin work with NATC at the beginning of December, which marked my return to the private sector after a brief stint working with a local NGO. Although I have worked abroad before, including in other parts of West Africa, I have never worked in the private sector outside my home country (the United States). So, as someone with a personal and professional interest in private sector development, this shift was a very exciting opportunity for me. 

I plunged in headfirst – after two weeks of training, and with both the CEO and Head of Operations away on leave, I took over as the de facto Head of Office! With their guidance from afar, I’ve been able to rapidly gain knowledge and get in-depth, firsthand experience with Liberia’s business environment. My work with NATC has already provided fascinating insight into the challenges of running a medium-sized business in Liberia, and how such a business can succeed.

As our CEO, Farzana Rasheed, has already enumerated in a previous post, NATC’s achievements are based on hard work, innovation, and creativity. Although Liberia still ranks in the bottom quintile of international ease of Doing Business indicators, this imaginative company is thriving. As Liberia moves forward to stronger growth and the development of its private sector, NATC is at the forefront of the IT products and services market. As a private business, it contributes to the growth of the small-to-medium-sized enterprise sector, creates jobs, and provides professional development and technological training for its staff.  At the same time, NATC makes its business out of facilitating and improving the efficiency of other companies in Liberia, further contributing to growth.

I am very glad to be part of this vibrant company, and enthusiastic about watching NATC grow in Liberia, in West Africa, and beyond.  

No comments:

Post a Comment